Why You Need an Emergency Plan & Kit
Though it may seem daunting, having an emergency plan and emergency kit for natural disasters, home accidents, and even worldwide tragedies like the recent pandemic is essential. Having a plan and kit can help you:
- Reduce the negative impact on your family
- Reduce fear, anxiety and stress when disaster hits
- Get back to normal life faster
Believe it or not, the majority of United States citizens have admitted that, at the start of the global pandemic in 2020, they were not adequately prepared for any potential disasters. 78% of adults didn’t have enough food or water storage to meet their quarantining needs.
Here’s a helpful checklist of items to have in your emergency kit:
- At least three day’s worth of water (one gallon per person per day)
- At least three day’s worth of food (canned goods and don’t forget the can opener!)
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- A portable power station like the Duracell PowerSource can help keep you comfortable and connected.
- Masks, soap, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes to disinfect surfaces.
- Complete change of clothing and all-weather shoes.
- Sleeping bag and blankets for each person
- Matches in a waterproof container
Aside from assembling your kit, there are a few things you can do to help yourself and your family be ready.
- Practice your plan with your household members to ensure that everyone is prepared at all times.
- Go over any potential dangers that could befall you and discuss a strategy for each one of them.
- Determine what everyone’s role will be should disaster strike.
- Know where to go and where to meet if anything happens.